The 99-year old Duke of Edinburgh Prince Philip has been transferred to St Bartholomew’s hospital, a specialized heart hospital in London, on Monday for treatment of an infection and observation of a pre-existing heart condition, Buckingham Palace announced.
Just two weeks ago, he was admitted to the private King Edward VII’s hospital in central London after he was feeling unwell.
“The Duke of Edinburgh was today transferred from King Edward VII’s hospital to St Bartholomew’s hospital where doctors will continue to treat him for an infection, as well as undertake testing and observation for a pre-existing heart condition.” the Buckingham Palace said in a statement. “The duke remains comfortable and is responding to treatment but is expected to remain in hospital until at least the end of the week.”, they added.
Prince Edward, who is Prince Philip’s youngest son, told the UK’s Sky News recently that his father was doing “a lot better” and was looking forward to returning home. “We’ve had some brilliant and lovely messages from all sorts of people. And we really appreciate that and so does he. I’ve been passing them on,” Edward said.
Prince William also had previously said that his grandfather was doing “ok” and that the hospital staff was keeping an eye on him.
Read the previous article of Prince Philips here: UK queen’s husband, Prince Philip, 99, admitted to hospital: Is in good spirits
Queen Elizabeth and her husband have been spending the time at Windsor Castle, outside London, ever since COVID-19. They decided to move away from Buckingham Palace when the first wave of COVID-19 hit London in spring 2020. In April 2020, the Duke of Edinburgh made a rare public statement, thanking key workers across the UK.
The Queen and Prince Philip both received the first dose of a Covid-19 vaccine in January 2021.
Prince Philip retired from royal duties in 2017 and rarely makes a public appearance. During England’s current coronavirus lockdown, Philip, also known as the Duke of Edinburgh, has been staying at Windsor Castle, west of London, with Queen Elizabeth.
Also Read CONFIRMED: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle won’t be returning to their royal roles